If you are a professional business presenter, tune in for tonight’s final presidential debate. Regardless of your political leanings, this is the Super Bowl of presentation skills. Why?
You have two men vying for the most powerful position in the world. You have less than a month to sway undecided voters and confirm the ones you think you have. And, you have a chance to cement your identity to a country that has become very visual and swayed by presentation.
Here are a few things to watch for from Senators McCain and Obama…
- Eye Contact – with both the audience AND with each other.
- Uhm and Ahs. I know this is bigger than Toastmasters but this is still an important part of being a solid presenter.
- Gestures. McCain is limited by POW injuries but facial expression counts. Obama has used gestures effectively.
- Warmth. Yes, you read that right. Too much of the time both candidates can look grim. Let’s see who evokes the most warmth to connect with the audience.
- Sizzle. Who sells the sizzle best. I’m sure CNN and all the cronies will give their opinions. I’m interested in yours.
Have fun watching…