I just provided 5 key techniques to better speeches and presentations for a publication in Ireland. I thought I would share the same information with you, my loyal readers…
Key techniques for compelling business speeches and presentations are:
- Open strong. Use a personal story, a provocative statement, or a witty (yet pertinent) quote. You have about 3 minutes to captivate your audience before they decide you’re not worth their attention.
- Close stronger. Last words linger and your close is critical as to whether your message will be taken from the stage into your audiences lives. Just like a movie or play, the close is the most important part of the speech/presentation.
- Memorize the open and the close. They are so important, you can’t afford to make mistakes.
- Use humor. Not jokes, but “organic: humor that stems from your personal stories. You don’t have to be a comedian; you have to be real and connect with your audience and humor is the most effective way.
- Never finish with Q&A. Remember I said last words linger? You have a close, so don’t kill it with questions and answers. Your presentation is then subject to the quality of the questions. Place Q&A just prior to your closing statement.
© 2010 Dan Weedin. All Rights Reserved
I could not agree more! Today I’ve attended a product presentation. The company has been bought recently. The last question was: “Why does the product cost 5 times more under the new ownership?”. Of course there ain’t no sensible answer. Now gues what bounces around in the heads of the audience!