This week’s guest columnist is Captain Jack. I opted to take the holiday weekend (Super Bowl) off from writing when he asked to step in with a special message….
Dan and Barb went to a Chinese New Year party that they go to every year with friends from high school. Bella and I are never invited; which is stupid because I know there’s another dog there. This year is the Year of the Dog. It comes in a 12-year cycle and the last one was before I was born, and based on my knowledge of my own mortality, this will be my only one. With that in mind, I’ve decided it’s going to be the Year of Captain Jack!
So allow me to share with you five ways you can take part in the Year of Captain Jack to improve your life:
- Smell everything once. Opportunity is always there, but you have to take the time to sniff it out. If something smells rotten, kick it to the curb. Just make sure you don’t miss your chance because you’re too scared.
- Tell the truth. When I’m hungry, I have a certain bark; same when I need to go out. I don’t play games, I bark what I mean. Humans sometimes beat around the bush. Life’s too short.
- Never turn down a walk. Walk’s clear your head and offer special smells. For humans, it means exercise and clearing the decks of the stuff stuck in your head.
- Sleep. You’re no good working if you’re exhausted. The brain needs a chance to re-charge and re-invigorate. Dogs have known this forever. When will humans get this?
- Take what you want from life. Dogs don’t dwell on whatever happened last year. We don’t care what someone else might think. We sniff out opportunities and take a chance. If we fail, we go to the next one.
Look, I am only going to get one Year of the Dog in my lifetime. You humans get to use all the years. Stop wasting time and enjoy life, even in your work. If your work is fun, your life will be fun. Go chase the ball that’s thrown today, track it down, and rinse and repeat. In your world, that will lead to a lot more tail wagging.
Quote of the Week:
“Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.”
~ Helen Keller
© 2018 Toro Consulting, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Do you need help unleashing your potential? My mentoring and coaching program has availability. Contact me at [email protected] or (360) 271-1592 to apply.