What’s your favorite filler word?
A filler word is a word you use as a transition, an annoying transition, from one thought to another instead of a pause. The pause is very powerful, yet we seem to have this anxiety about dead air. Because of that we use needless fillers like – uhm, ah, so, you know, like, etc. Get my drift?
My favorite filler is “so.” I tend to latch it on the the end of sentences and allow it to drift off.
“I’m very happy to be working on this project with you,so…”
“The next step i the process is to bring in an expert, so..”
Both these examples would have been fine had they ended with a period prior to the “so.” You may be wondering, “What’s the big deal?” The big deal is that using filler words like so have the following effect…
- Decrease the power in your statements
- Distract your audience form your message
- Annoy the heck out of people
- Develop poor habits
What’s your filler word? Is it “so” like mine is or is it one of the others I mentioned? How do you find out? Several ways come to mind…
- Listen attentively to your speech patterns
- Ask others to help you by actively listening for these words
- Join a Toastmasters club to kick the habit…I promise they WILL tell you
The sooner you commit to kicking your filler habit, the sooner you will enjoy better communications. That normally means more business and better relationships. So…